Get cooking with ingredients from FPPL! Spicy Seaweed Futomaki Vegan Japanese Roll
Futomaki means “fat roll” in Japanese, but this roll is not about the fat you eat – it refers to the size of the portion. This style of roll is traditional to the Edo style of Japanese cuisine with its use of Kanpyo. Kanpyo is a dried gourd flesh that is harvested every late summer early fall in Japan. About 200 tons a year are consumed in Japan and more around the world.
Use our creamy CCSS soy cream cheese– the most creamy feeling savory plant-based soy cream cheese. Spicy Seaweed Futomaki Vegan Japanese Roll also contains CCSS made with FPPL’s USS process for a true non-dairy, smooth taste. Fine dining can be done without the diary while keeping all the taste and texture you expect from dairy. FPPLs CCSS is a soy cream cheese that rivals dairy with all the creamy mouthfeel you expect in cream cheese- without the dairy aftertaste. New layers and dimensions of flavor can be reached using FPPL soy products. All plant-based – more recipes at fujiplantproteinlabs.com/recipes
Spicy Seaweed Futomaki Vegan Japanese Roll
Try this recipe from the kitchens of Fuji Plant Protein Labs!
Made traditional nori (dried seaweed) wrapper, Takuwan, avocado, and Kanpyo. Creamy and rich and full of flavor. CCSS picks up any flavor as its made from soy. Combined with avocado and Takuwan, each bite is umami!
- CCSS Soy Cream Cheese
- Nori wrapper (seaweed sushi roll wrapper)
- Kanpyo (Japanese dried gourd strips)
- Takuwan (Japanese pickled radish)
- Sushi rice, cooked, with rice flavoring mixed in. (see below)
- Sushi rice flavoring – equal parts rice vinegar, beet sugar, salt to taste- heat in microwave on high 1min, stir, mix into cooked cool sushi rice.
- bamboo mat with plastic wrap
1. Wrap bamboo mat in plastic wrap. Lay down soy paper on mat. Put sushi rice on soy paper
2. Line up ingredients for filling. Arrange in lines next to each other starting from center of sushi rice.
3. Roll tightly enough to keep form. Squeeze gently at end of the rolling motion to keep item packed. Remove mat.
4. Once rolled, slice thin layers of avocado and arrange to cover the length of the roll.
5. cover in plastic wrap and gently compress to form, slice through plastic wrap with sharp knife
6. remove plastic wrap, slice and top with a small dollop of Sriracha. Optionally use black sesame seeds to finish.
Vegan. Simple. GOOD!