Vegan Plant-Based Chorizo Crumbles can be used in so many different vegan and plant-based dishes. This recipe uses our Textured Soy Protein (TSP) that expands when hydrated to four times its volume and has a great texture like meat. See how you can use TSP in Vegan Plant-Based Chorizo Crumbles and for more technical information see our TSP page.
Where to use vegan chorizo:
- On pizza
- In a taco
- In a burrito
- On a burrito bowl
- On nachos
- Stirred into rice
- On top of roasted potatoes
- On potato soup
- In a stuffed pepper
- Anywhere that needs a little pick me up!
- 350g TSP, crumbled, hydrated
- 2 tablespoons oil (light, such as canola or vegetable)2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
● Medium baking sheet
Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
Mix the oil, soy sauce, vinegar and all of the spices together in a large bowl.
Crumble the block of tofu with your fingers into the bowl with the seasoning. Mix the TSP crumbles with the seasoning making sure all of the TSP is evenly coated. Spread the TSP crumbles evenly over the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn’t burn. You want the TSP to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that’s ok because it will provide a variety of texture. Enjoy hot or cold.
- Baking the TSP makes the crumbles chewy but you could alternatively cook the seasoned crumbles in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often until they darken about 10 minutes. They won’t be as chewy this way but the flavor will still be there.
- This chorizo has a nice lingering spice but if you want to make it even spicier add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder along with the other spices.